India has a lot to recommend it: the beautiful
landscapes, the thriving cities, the rich nature...and who could
forget the food? These 29 mind-blowing photos of India capture all
different sides of this vibrant country - it's enough to leave you
with a serious case of wanderlust. We challenge you to scroll
through all 29 without being inspired to book your next trip.
Nowhere does luxury quite like India. Whether you're staying in
a palace (and almost literally rubbing shoulders with royalty) or
are booked in for a glamping stay, a pampering hotel is the best
way to kick off your trip.
1. You could be lounging by the beautiful pool at Devi
© Devi Garh
2. Or at the Oberoi Udaivilas in Rajasthan. Yes, this really
is a hotel.
© Oberoi Hotels
3. You can always find yourself a retreat in the middle
of the city at the Taj Mahal Mumbai.
4. How about a brush with royalty at a real palace hotel?
© Taj Hotels
5. Or a luxury glamping getaway far from the bustling
India - a beach destination? Definitely. From popular stretches
along Goa and Kerala to islands in the middle of the turquoise-hued
Bay of Bengal, there are glorious stretches of sun and surf to
6. No wonder Goa's beaches are famous for being some of
© Leroy Julien/iStock/Thinkstock
7. After soaking up the sun, imagine heading to a cosy
cottage before dinner…
8. Sunset in Kerala. Oh yes.
9. Yes, the waters of the Bay of Bengal really
are this colour - though perhaps you need to see them
yourself to be sure.
10. A group of islands off the coast of Kerala,
Lakshadweep is all white sand and aquamarine water.
Get your camera (or your Instagram) at the ready - these
stunning buildings show off India's amazing and diverse
11. It's hard to be sure which time of day flatters the
Golden Temple in Amritsar the most...
12. A palace on water. Perfection.
13. The incredible Hawa Mahal ranks among the most
beautiful sights in Rajasthan.
14. And who could forget the "teardrop on the face of
eternity," the Taj Mahal herself?
15. The Lotus Temple in New Delhi is more modern than
many of India's famous buildings - but no less
It's almost impossible to summarise India's culture, given its
millennia of history and extraordinary diversity. Suffice it to say
that the country is always captivating, for first-time travellers
and repeat visitors alike.
16. The famous Pushkar Camel Fair is one of the most
surprising events in the country.
17. Leading to the sacred Ganges, the Varanasi Ghats
host daily rituals as well as religious celebrations.
© Dirk Ott/iStock/Thinkstock
18. That's one good-looking elephant.
19. For many, delicious Indian food is one of the
biggest reasons to visit.
© Maris Kiselov/iStock/Thinkstock
20. Lucky visitors can witness traditional dance
India isn't India without its tigers. Or its monkeys. Or its
jungles, or mountains, or deserts. If you're looking for a wild
getaway, the subcontinent has plenty in store.
21. Kerala's backwaters were made for lazy trips along
22. Tea is important here - and the country's beautiful
tea plantations are worth visiting, too.
23. The Sahara? No: it's the golden Thar Desert in
24. The world's third tallest peak, Kanchenjunga, is
located on the Indian-Nepalese border.
25. India has many beautiful wild tigers - why not go on
a safari trip to spot them?
26. And tigers aren't the only big cats to call the
27. Brilliant spots of colour: see how many wild parrots
you can find on your next trip.
28. Turns out lions aren't just in Africa: discover the
elusive and majestic Asiatic
29. Heading to India? Get used to seeing monkeys almost
everywhere - like this funny little fellow at Hampi.