The Jungle Book was no lie: India
reallyis home to some of the most magnificent animals on the
planet. From striking Bengal tigers to herds of majestic elephants,
from shy leopards and lazy sloth bears to flocks of
rainbow-coloured tropical birds, the Subcontinent is a true
paradise for nature lovers. Inspire your next safari with these
unbelievable photos of Indian wildlife. Which one is your
1. If you're obsessed with tigers, we've got good news:
India is one of the best places on Earth to see them in the wild
(you just might want to give this particular tiger some
© Guenter Guni/iStock
2. This adorable grey langur almost seems to know he's
getting his portrait taken.
3. Have you ever seen a happier elephant? A cooling
splash session on a hot day is just the thing to raise spirits (and
4. If you needed proof that leopards are among the most
beautiful Indian wildlife around, here you have it.
© Dirk Freder/iStock
5. Herds of elegant antelope can be found in many of
India's national parks.
6. That's one way to get noticed - this Great Hornbill
is certainly hard to miss.
7. Sloth bears may have an unfair reputation for being
lazy (no thanks to Baloo), but this mother bear is kept busy by her
two cuddly cubs.
© Liz Leyden/iStock
8. Is there anything cuter in the animal kingdom than
this fuzzy tiger cub?
© Mark Kostich/iStock
9. Peacocks are among the most colourful examples of
Indian wildlife - unless they're white peacocks, that
© Sami Sert/iStock
10. What big teeth you have! The gharial, also known as
the fish-eating crocodile, isn't a creature you'd want to
11. Thought lions were only found in Africa? Meet the
elusive Asiatic lion, which roams the Gir Forest
National Park in Gujarat.
12. That goes for rhinos, too, which are native to both
Africa and Asia. This one-horned rhinoceros is found in North India
13. The endangered snow leopard is one of the most
beautiful animals in India, and can be found roaming the Himalayan
Mountains and foothills.
© Andrea Izzotti/iStock
14. Nope, not a cow: visitors to India's Himalayan
regions can expect to encounter plenty of furry yaks on their
© TERADAT SANTIVIVUT/iStock
15. On your next trip to India, take advantage of the
beautiful wildlife and experience The Jungle Book come to